Are Your Gums Trying to Tell You Something?
Have you noticed a red or swollen gums problem with your mouth? Your gums may be trying to tell you something.
Signs of oral disease and infection
You should keep alert and check your gums regularly between dentist visits.
Here are some signs to watch for:
- Puffiness or swelling
- Shrinking of the gums
The signs above are signs of periodontal disease or Gingivitis (the very early stages). Gingivitis can be reversed with periodontal therapy. Severe periodontal disease probably will not be reversible, however. So your gums can tell you if you are developing periodontal disease but what else can your gums tell you.
Other health issues your gums may tell you about
There are some other health issues that your gums may be able to alert your dentist to during a checkup.
Some of these issues are:
- Diabetes or pre-diabetes
- Cardiovascular disease, stroke, or heart attack
- Autoimmune diseases such as celiac, lupus, RA, or others
- Sleep apnea which can cause a clenching and grinding in your sleep to open airways so you can breathe
- Pregnancy as morning sickness can be rough on your teeth and poor gum and teeth health can lead to premature births
- Eating disorders or other dietary issues
- Possible kidney issues
- HPV, HIV, or AIDS
- Osteoporosis can lead to tooth loss
- Anemia (lack of iron and red blood cells)
As you can see it is important to take care of your gums and teeth. Paying close attention to what they are telling you about not only your oral health but your overall health as well can actually save your life and some money.
What you can do help your gums
Most dentists including Toronto dental office suggest that you eat a healthy and balanced diet, drink plenty of water, and exercise to help keep your mouth and gums healthy.